Thursday, April 10, 2008

holidays coming to an end

Monday it is workworkwork again. the way of repeating the word three times to emphasize that there is a lot of something there or going on is a local habit. If multiplying verbs and nouns is not enough to cover all the threatening stretches of silence, you can say "bla-bla-bla et comme ça" and "le voilà". People hate silence. The seem to be stuck on oral phase: They have to talk, kiss, smoke, eat or drink incessantly. 
They drive me nuts.



As for my HDR experiment, I have now noticed that there are pictures that are correctly exposed and well within the contrast range and they number increases dramatically as one brackets the exposure with ±1.67 stops. Then there are some shots that "justify" the use of HDR but the end result is not necessarily better than the middle orginal.

And then there are shots that improve. 
I am not talking about making unnatural "creative" shots just for the heck of it. I am after a natural rendition, something that we subjectively experience with the help of our magnificent image processing grayware. We do color correction, 3-D rendition, histogram flattening etc. at a fraction of a second without even appreciating what is going on. Cameras are not like that at all. Yet.




So I took off after 6 to catch some morning light in the nearby marsh. I was not very impressed, it was quite dull with clear skies. But I shot 1GB CF-card full anyway. Bracketing!

Normally one walks 3 hours and takes (old habit) about 35 shots of which 4 turn out OK.
So I got home, uploaded my catch on my Mac and got three pictures that I liked.
I did HDR transformation on one of the shots but I am not going to tell which one.
All I can say that it took quite a while to mix the three shots together and even after all the effort I am pretty sure that no one could tell the manipulated shot apart from the others.
Not better, not worse, not more or less synthetic than the others.


080410belairHDR1

Playplayplay.
GOOD!


No comments: