Sunday, February 20, 2005

hot for teachers

About a year ago when I had decided to stay in la Réunion, I decided to do so properly. Properly means getting to social circles, to know people where you have to, bien sur, master the language. To master a language -unless you are a genius or a toddler- you need a teacher. On a dinner with my friend Brieuc I presented my problem: I admire the French language, its expressiveness and imagination. Your Mr. Le President is a fantastic speaker, I'd love to learn to speak like him!"

Brieuc looked at me knowingly, his face lighted up and he repeated: "Mr. Le President...wait a second, I think I have just the right guy for you. Have a look and see, no obligations". The rendez-vous was set to saturday morning. At 9:10 there was a knock on the door and a very tall and a very black man entered. He presented himself, and his credentials. He was a professor of the French language at the university. We talked a little over the coffee and obviously, he was screening my needs to plan his policy.

I have a problem understanding French dialects. This man had a very heavy African accent he seemed totally unaware of. So we did grammar, some expressions where in addition I had to do an enormous amount of guessing and excusing to understand what he said. Finally I started getting Brieuc's joke. This man was indeed speaking like Mr. Le President, only that the president was not Mr. Chirac as I'd expected but Mobutu Sese Seko.
A very respectable statesman, no doubt , but not the one I wanted to sound like.

After some time I saw Brieuc and he burst out laughing. "I knew it. But wasn't he tall!"
Undeniably.

So he gave me another phone number. This time it was a woman, an Alsacien, tall and sporty. I had no difficulty communicating with her. She gave me lots of feedback on my mistakes which I gladly took. She also cooked me a nice meal and we went to concert together. Unfortunately, having mostly educated riding horses before, she had very confused ideas about French grammar. I like grammars and I like making questions and tired of her nonsensical attempts to explanations I decided to quit.
She had a depressing aura of sadness about her.
She was quite tall, too.

The third one was again a professor at the University, a lady slightly over my age. She had a problem with her apartment which she wanted me to rent and she also wanted me to buy her furniture. I met her a couple of times but I made no progress. I have to admit, though, that she was a better cook than I am.

So here I am, two years in France and still talking like a spanish cow. But with my bovine accent I've managed quite well: I've rented a flat, bought a car and got it registered and insured, had water, electricity and phone connected. Banking is still a problem but so it to the french also but a few. You are faced with a deep-level incompetence combined with superiority and stupidity that resembles a Monty Python parody. The only way to cut through is to know a Somebody or be one. A recent expat from behind the Moon is not ranked on their lists.

So, being a Modern Man I amazoned a Transparent Language French Interactive CD. I get my pronunciation evaluated with a meter. It goes to green if I do OK, yellow if I flash and hardly moves most of the time. It is quite eerie, repeating the phrases aloud in an echoing room. If I ever had a neighbor doing that, I'd probably call in the Basket Squad.
The most depressing thing: A black labrador barking outside keeps getting better scores than I do.

I wonder how much he'd charge for a lesson... a Franfurter?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour cher cousin,

non, je ne veux pas être ton prof! I just couldn't resist answering the new blog as I can understand your predicament perfectly. French in France is fine, I get it. French in Canada takes getting used to and that goes even more for the rest of the French in world.

Même si on parle francais tous les jours, as I do at work, it's a struggle to get it right and sometimes all the years I spent studying French at school and at university, seems lost. I actually thought I could speak fairly fluently once. I even think that ye good olde English limps from time to time. I speak and write far too much German these days and German I don't even know = have never studied. C'est terrible!

Enjoy life there in the sun as we here in the neighborhood of the North Pole try to cope shovelling snow.

A-H

Garbidz said...

Little people in little countries do big things...We make a point of geeting our point through to others whereas the Big Ones have the luxury of the Form...(Descartes would rip his club shirt if he knew what is called "Cartesien" nowadays)

Do you have a different personality as you change language?

Many people do.

I do a very good Idiot Act in French whereas in English they say that I am "educated"... (is that a compliment?)

Anonymous said...

Would you say that I do?

I used to be very proud of my language skills, apart from my native tounge, which I have never mastered, but I firmly believe as I don't study or read much of anything but job stuff anymore, knowledge deteriorates and even though I manage, it's not what it used to be. Very long sentence, this.

This is scary, 'though probably a natural thing as age gets the better of you. However, this development (?), is not what I want, so maybe we should join a conversation class? A bit difficult as we are on opposite sides of this planet.

Perhaps I should also start blogging and thus at least write some English. Better not - I could get stuck by the computer, publishing or not. I'm stuck by the machine as it is, doing the everyday chores.

Anonymous said...

Sveiki!

Entering a new environment, new culture and language is an interesting experience; The expression with which I started this text is "hi" in lithuanian or at least close to that. After 1,5 years there I can say somethig now. However, the first contact to the language was shocking; not a SINGLE familiar word, wherever you looked! Regardless of that shock I worked systematically to try to learn their language.

Through language You can also get into the real thinking of the native people; I encourage You to go on with the struggle of mastering french and don't forget the Blues;

SK

Garbidz said...

sveiki to you too!

Personally, I would never have braved Lithuania. Even France was on the edge but the loveliness of this island got the better of me. One thing I notice is that after writing other languages my French, the little I got, goes down the drain. Would blogging in French be an alternative?

I do not think so knowing the french I know (the people, that is)

blues, yeah...the Strat is a beauty!
(and my fingers ground meat)

ketchup, anyone?

hot sexy stories said...

Mikeybit his lip his breathing became continuous stiff grunting gaspsthrough clenched teeth. The Private reached down and slapped his slut on the ass.
diaper with spanking stories
adult stories young incest
adult rape stories
erotic pre cp incest stories
erotic stories
Mikeybit his lip his breathing became continuous stiff grunting gaspsthrough clenched teeth. The Private reached down and slapped his slut on the ass.